About The Book
English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. In this world of competition it is absolutely necessary to articulate our thoughts using appropriate words. Till now we all have been surfing the internet and dictionaries looking for right words. Just imagine if we understood how a word originated and the logic behind it. Will it not make your life easier? For example the root of the word unanimous is ‘anim’ which means mind so the word unanimous means ‘of one mind’. Word Power Made Handy would teach you innumerable such words using the ‘Inductive Method’ and you would know that you need not memorize all the words in order to speak in English.
Part I (Domain Specific Words) of Word Power Made Handy is based on the following topics:
• Words for ‘Life’ and ‘Living Beings’
• Words for Parts of Human Body
• Words for Human Character and Personality
• Words for ‘Beginning’ and ‘Ending’ and ‘Before’ and ‘After’
• One Word for Many ( Single-Word Substitution)
• Words for One and Many
• Words for Over and Under
• Words for Phobia, Mania and Love
• Words with Prefixes ‘extra-‘, ‘intra-‘, and ‘ inter-‘
• Words with Prefix anti-
• Words for ‘Cutting’ & ‘Going’ (Movement)
• Words for Colours
• Words from the animal kingdom
• Words from Mythology and History
• Words from People’s Name
• Words for Motion and Speed
• Words for Concealment and Deception
• Words for Different Kinds of Crime, Punishment Difficulties, Dilemmas and Hitches
• Words of Negative Connotations
• Words with Hyphenation
• Words of Foreign Borrowings
• Words from the Area of Medical Sciences
• Words from the Area of Law
• Words from the World of Media and Publishing Industry
• Literary devices ( Words from English Literature)
• Words of Business and Management
• Words for Finance and Stock Market
• Words for Environment and Global Warming
• Words Showing Different States of Mind
• Words & Phrases from Computers, the Internet and Social Media.
Part II (Some Confusing Words and Phrases in English Language)
• Idiomatic Expressions
• Phrasal Verbs
• Homophones (Homonyms)
• Homographs (Heteronyms)
• Words from 21st Century English
Part-III (More Than 3500 High Frequency Words)
• Word Set (1- 50)
Part I of Word Power Made Handy is divided into multiple domains and the vocabulary that is specific to each domain. This part would teach you how to derive the meaning of the words and as you proceed you will realize that you know meaning of most of the words.
Part II of Word Power Made Handy deals with confusing words and phrases. You can always refer to this part in case you ever get confused.
This part consists of 3500 different words that you can extend your vocabulary with.
About the Author
Dr Shalini Verma-
Dr Shalini Verma has over two decades of experience in teaching, training, research and consultancy. She is Ph.D in Communications and has Master’s degrees in English, Communication and Journalism, Human Rights and Business Administrations. She has travelled around the world and conducted corporate trainings relating to Communication.
Dr Verma has written several Books on English Grammar and Communication and is an expert in this field.
Reading Level: Basic
No. of Pages: 444
Bind Type: Paperback
Publisher and year: S. Chand & Company PVT. LTD, 2016
Edition: Second Revised Edition 2016